Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:24:20 +0000

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 11:03 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >From the log you provided it shows you don't have jack running and
> you have fluidsynth set in denemo to use the Jack audio driver.

This raises an important issue: what executables should distros be
offering from denemo. It seems to me most likely that distros would want
to offer two packages

denemo

denemo-jack

where the second is built with --enable-jack and defaults to expecting a
jack server to be running. (BTW if someone presses play when nothing
will be heard, can we pop up a dialog explaining the situation?)

I don't understand packaging, so don't over-interpret my comments - but
I notice that quite a few projects have more than one package. If it
means less dependencies for people who aren't going to be using jack,
that could be good. OTOH if it is just a matter of setting the default
to be "use internal synth", and letting people wanting to use JACK set
it up (they have to set up stuff anyway) then could we do that (i.e.
just one package that includes both, but defaults to using the internal
synth).

BTW Someone mentioned on #denemo that they were hoping take over Debian
Denemo maintainer role. I am not sure if they are subscribed here...