ddd

RE: Dumb question about fonts

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: RE: Dumb question about fonts
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:31:25 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: RE: Dumb question about fonts, Atwood, Robert C said (at...:

I am getting a 'No symbol xxxx in current context' when as far as I am
aware, the symbol DOES exist in the current context, at least the
program (ddd) seems to run! . I have endeavoured to  ensure that the
instance that is being debugged has not been optimized (so the varible
is not optimized out, I believe) using CXXFLAGS=-ggdb (also tried -g )
Why else might a variable not be in scope when it looks like it is?

I think you're on the correct track.  In every case where I've ever
seen that message (or one like it), it's because the symbol has been
optimized away by the compiler.

Note that just because you're using `-ggdb' doesn't mean that the
compiler isn't doing some optimization.  It depends on the compiler, but
it's likely the compiler is still doing "-O2".  Try changing CXXFLAGS to

        CXXFLAGS='-ggdb -O0'

possibly with other flags (turn off inlining, etc), depending on the
compiler.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden