consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:37:53 -0500

    But let's switch to "private" instead of "owning" if this are better words.

I suggest using "control": users should have control of the data they
put into the system.  "Control" is more general than "private".

Making data private is one way you can _use_ your control.
However, you can also use your control to allow some people
to have access to the data.

    > Not all services are SaaS.  If it doesn't do _the user's own computing_
    > then it isn't SaaS.

    I read you document and I see what you mean.
    Should we add a paragraph that SaaS is not recommended?

I suggest that we state the two problems that use of network services
can cause:

* Losing control of your data.

* Losing control of how your computing is done (SaaS).

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation