[Axiom-developer] Re: the repository story (was: build-improvements on c

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: the repository story (was: build-improvements on cygwin)
Date: 29 Nov 2006 15:14:16 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > diff compares files, not history or ancestry.
| > merge likes to have ancestry, so if you're doing star-merge and the
| > branches don't have common ancestry, typically SVK/SVK will first
| > delete then add (which you may think is silly but without ancestry,
| > that is a reasonable thing to do).  That has the effect of
| > "duplicating" files.
| >

| Reasonable thing to do?

In the context of a system based on file ancestry, yes.

[...]

| > Do we do that before or after my changes I'm testing?  My changes
| > means we now have gcl/ and noweb/ toplevel subdirectories, and the
| > corresponding tarballs are gone; lsp/ is renamed to src/lisp.
| >

| It seems that you did not commit your changes.

no, but after an hour, SVN said:

Commit into mirrored path: merging back directly.
Waiting for editor...
Merging back to mirror source https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom.
RA layer request failed: MERGE request failed on
'/svnroot/axiom/branches/build-improvements': MERGE of
'/svnroot/axiom/branches/build-improvements': 500 Internal Server
Error (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
Please sync mirrored path /axiom/branches/build-improvements first.

when in fact my tree is up-to-date.  I'll merge bits and pieces.