Re: [Swftools-common] Tiled patterns and shape overflow

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Tiled patterns and shape overflow
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:53:13 +0000

2009/11/27 Sander Kruger <address@hidden>:
> I wouldn't say it's an Excel problem. In fact it depends on the PDF
> converter how gridlines are expressed in PDF. For example, my Cutewriter
> creates grey lines (not patterned), but Acrobat 6 creates the tiled
> patterns.

Yes, but the the interpretation of the pdf converter often relies on
the quality of the information
sent to it from the original program.  Don't forget the intermediary
step with Ghostscript
either.

Odd then, is it not, that a standard sheet convert with pdf2swf from
both Gnumeric and OO Calc
using both the OO pdf convert routine ( and that of PDFCreator  does
not produce the effect you
state ).  With both programs, grid lines are definitely that, black and solid.

I should test same with an Excel file, eh?

> I could imagine that there are other programs that create patterns. For
> example, I have seen many Powerpoint presentations with transparency where
> the transparent bits are converted to patterns by some PDF converters.

> I suppose that this mostly happens with older versions, yet I think it's
> almost impossible to rule out that such files will come across. If pdf2swf
> is used as a server software with multiple file sources, then it would be
> useful to have a solution for it in pdf2swf.

> Would it be conceivable to put such an option into the program that only
> converts patterns to bitmaps and uses them as a fillstyle?

Since most or all converters tend to use GhostScriupt as an
intermidiary step, maybe that
is where such amendments should be made?

Regards,

Chris,