Re: swarm1.3.1./Solaris2.6: crashing heatbugs

From: Karin Hollerbach
Subject: Re: swarm1.3.1./Solaris2.6: crashing heatbugs
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:27:43 -0700

Several people asked me about this, and I was never quite sure what it was
I'd done to make it work on my various machines:  I ran into the same (same
as the one you describe?) problem when installing swarm on three different
Solaris 2.X platforms, each with totally different directory structures.
(Running swarm-1.3 on all, and tcl/tk 8.0.3 and appropriate blt (8.0-unoff
I think it's called), tclobjc-1.3.)

Now I can consistently reproduce and also fix my previous errors on all
three of my machines --

After running into a seg fault/core dump with similar gdb error messages, I
had to do the following:

1.  make distclean in swarm

2.  edit the following swarm file:

in .../swarm-1.3/src/tclobjc/TclInterp.m, change:

  const char *originalPath = Tcl_GetVar (interp, "tcl_library",
TCL_GLOBAL_ONLY);

to the following:    (where /pubusrc/tools/lib/tcl8.0 is where I happen to
have tcl libs installed on one of my machines; edit it to whatever is the
appropriate path)

  const char *originalPath = "/pubusrc/tools/lib/tcl8.0";
    /*Tcl_GetVar (interp, "tcl_library", TCL_GLOBAL_ONLY);*/

For some reason, this wasn't being set properly in the code.

3.  After editing TclInterp.m to hardwire the path:  re-configure swarm
(remember --disable-shared)
(BTW, I had made everything BUT swarm with --enable-shared.)

[4.  For some reason, no matter what options I gave to the swarm configure,
I had to hand-edit the Makefile to give it the correct blt directories. I
don't think that's your problem here, so you can probably skip that step.
If you do have to do it, you'll also have to make the same hand edit in the
Makefile.appl that is called by the Makefile in each of the demo
directories. (I'm not sure that's clearly stated...) ]

4.  re-make swarm, re-install swarm

5.  remember to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately

6.  After these steps, all of the demo programs and my own programs now run
successfully on all of my Solaris computers.

Hope that helps.

Karin

>> DD> bltwish says: /opt/tcl/lib/tcl8.0
>>
>> DD> which makes me even more confuse. Did I forget to throw out some
>> DD> traces of tcl7.6? Couldn't find any.
>>
>> Don't you intend to use Tcl/Tk 8?
>
>Yes, thats what I'm trying. The problem is that we have a mixed tcl7.6/tcl8
>enviroment here. Earlier attempts failed because the TCLs and TKs got
>mixed.
>
>-daniel
>

>                  ==================================
>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

Karin Hollerbach, PhD

Computer Systems Research Group