Re: Linux/WindowsNT

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Linux/WindowsNT
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:02:59 -0600 ()

If you get OpenNT working, I'd like to know. I installed it and the
x server is fine, but it doesn't run linux applications very well. I
tried to compile a swarm program --static and it didn't run at all.
If you can get it to go, I'd like to know more about how.

After the free 30 days, OpenNT gets kinda pricey too.

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Jan Kreft wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Ginger Booth wrote:
>
> >     So I need to bone up on WinNT/Linux, enough that I can create a
> > cross-platform network, of (I think?) machines interoperable WinNT/Linux,
> > by user/on demand, NFS'd together, probably with HPUX machines still in
> > the mix, and possibly SGI's and an ancient SparcStation.  With common
> > accessories (multimedia station, backups, zip drive, printers, application
> > depositories both Linux and WinNT side, etc.)  Like, "WinNT for Dummies"
> > probably lacks needed detail.
>
> I recently stumbled across an article about OpenNT. This might be what you
> want? OpenNT allows running of Linux/Unix applications on NT, that is, you
> can run WinWord etc. on NT and at the same time run gcc etc. on Linux on
> NT on the same machine! An X Server is included. Most GNU stuff runs
> according to the marketing hype at
>
> http://www.softway.com/Opennt/home.htm
>
> though my beloved ;-) emacs is not (yet?) on the list of working apps.
>
> I'm seriously thinking of installing OpenNT myself, so any
> comments/experiences with OpenNT from others are welcome.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jan.

Paul E. Johnson                 address@hidden
Associate Professor             http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
Dept. of Political Science      Fax:   (913) 864-5700
University of Kansas            Phone: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045