Linux/WindowsNT

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: Linux/WindowsNT
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 13:50:22 EST

Hi, gang,

    I know this doesn't belong here, but figured y'all could maybe give
me a few pointers....

    We've been working on a (mostly) pure HPUX cross-NFS net, courtesy of
some grants from HP.  Now we've won an Intel grant, so we're getting mobs
of Intel WinNT systems coming in.  Nice ones, probably.  Like 30, 300MHz
Pentium II's.

    So I need to bone up on WinNT/Linux, enough that I can create a
cross-platform network, of (I think?) machines interoperable WinNT/Linux,
by user/on demand, NFS'd together, probably with HPUX machines still in
the mix, and possibly SGI's and an ancient SparcStation.  With common
accessories (multimedia station, backups, zip drive, printers, application
depositories both Linux and WinNT side, etc.)  Like, "WinNT for Dummies"
probably lacks needed detail.

    I know nothing about WinNT.  I have a Windows'95 machine at home,
conveniently un-networked except by modem.  Never done Linux.  "Advanced
Techniques for Microsoft Systems Gurus" is probably also not the
title I'm looking for.

    Any pointers on the learning curve?  Anybody done it?  Should I flee?

Thanks!
            Ginger Booth, Center for Computational Ecology
                Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies