Re: Advice

From: Paul W. Box
Subject: Re: Advice
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 15:21:14 -0400

I have been using swarm on slakware linux, and have no complaints about
it.  I have never used any other distribution of linux, and cannot offer
a comparison along that line.

I agree with what everyone else is saying about getting another drive--
a hard drive's least-energy state is full, and it will always try to
achieve that state ;-) so you will probably use any space that you have
available.  For what it's worth, the Linux Journal just had an issue
about how to build the best linux box-- they mentioned that for better
performance, you would get better results spending more on scsi drives
than on a faster processer.  If you have ever entertained any thoughts
about putting scsi drives on your machine this might be a good time to
consider it.

I started with linux on two partitions (you need one separate partition
for the swap space) on my windows drive, and have regretted that
decision ever since.  If you are like most linux users that I know, you
will probably find your windows partition to be increasingly useless.
Also, microsoft operating systems have 'features' that make them hostile
to sharing a drive with other operating systems and difficult to
administer.  Feel free to email me if you would like further information
along that line.

good luck
--
/*  Paul Box                      |        Cogito ergo                */