Re: Advice

From: Hal L DeVore
Subject: Re: Advice
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:49:10 -0500

address@hidden said:
> 1.  I will be working on my computer at home and would like to know if
>  I would be better off partitioning my hard drive to set up swarm and
> all the ancillary stuff, or should I get a plug-in hard drive and keep
>  everything separate from my windows environment.

Either one.  Depends on what you're comfortable with.  Repartitioning is a
pain because you've either gotta buy an on-the-fly repartitioner program
or you've gotta back up and restore everything.

Personally, given that you've got the spare drive port and bay, I'd go buy
a cheap 1GB drive which should be plenty big and plug it in.

> 2. From what I can tell Redhat Linux seems to be the system of choice
> for me.  Is that so?

I've used Slackware Linux and Red Hat Linux.  Red Hat Linux is by far the
easier to install and end up with a working system, better job of making
sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot by leaving off something vital.

Buy it from Red Hat, or from www.cheapbytes.com, or download it.

Hal