social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:41:06 -0400

On 3/28/10 2:38 PM, Adrian Thurston wrote:
My opinion here is that something as fundamental as what GNU social aims to be should no limit itself to particular languages/environments based on what the cheap hosting providers are willing to host.

I don't expect the average internet user to go out and get a virtual private server, however. What I envision are GNU social service providers popping up in the same way that free email providers do.

-Adrian
That is quite possible, and it is a valid scheme, so long as these hosting providers respect the freedoms and privacy of their users. If they don't, the users will be no better off than if they were using an existing social networking tool like Facebook.

--
Henry L.