Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:17:29 -0400

On 3/28/10 2:13 PM, Jason Self wrote:
Matt Lee<address@hidden>  wrote ..
On 03/28/2010 02:03 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

I don't see why users have to be able to use commodity hosting. If we
make it easy enough, anyone can host their own GNU Social install, p2p
Because I don't believe the majority of people will.

What will they host it on? The majority of Facebook users don't have a
machine they can install their own servers on. Being able to use this
from anywhere is key for success, and that means browser based.

Plus, remember that many ISPs (at least in the U.S.) prohibit their customers
from running "servers" under penalty of cancellation.
First of all it's a local web server - they would only be serving content to themselves, which is completely legal.

Secondly, it's peer-to-peer communication protocol, not a "server".