social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:46:44 -0400

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 15:30 -0400, Henry Litwhiler wrote:
> On 3/28/10 3:28 PM, Ted Smith wrote:

> >> I guess it is totally unsurprising to hear talk like this.
> >>
> >> I have been working with very idealistic folks working on identity and
> >> much of what you are talking about for a long time.   In order to get
> >> systems of the magnitude of everyone having control of their own data
> >> online and the freedom to peer-to-peer link and freedom to organize
> >> one needs to work with business and transform the exploitive systems
> >> that underly our world today into ones that are ethically moral and
> >> for the people.
> >>
> >> To get things to work and be supported resources and money need to flow.
> >> Business in itself is NOT the DEVIL.
> >>
> > Indeed it is not, but that was not what I was addressing. Businesses
> > that attempt to divide users so that they cannot interact with one
> > another as peers and make them "consumers" are the devil.
> >
> > Maybe there are good ethical businesses in the world - such a question
> > is outside the scope of GNU Social. But these ISPs and non-free software
> > companies, they certainly are not.
> >
> Rather than trying to encourage users to go in the direction of outright
> defiance, we might do better to find ways for them to get around the
> restrictions set up by these ISPs, something that can be accomplished
> through GNU Social.

If you mean using p2p, I agree with you, but that's still some level of
defiance. I don't see any way to do this without some level of defiance
without introducing software as a service, which is unethical. The
problem is that these ISPs only permit users to communicate with the
outside world through SaaS.