social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:03:01 -0400

On 3/28/10 1:56 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
On 03/28/2010 01:50 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

PHP simply isn't the language we want to use for the *backbone* of GNU
Social. It's all well and good for parsing data and displaying it to the
browser, but it simply isn't suited for the nitty-gritty work of
handling node-to-node communications - at least, not in the distributed,
p2p model that Ted Smith and I envision.
Well, it has to be. We have to find a way to make it work.

We cannot, and will not, expect novice users to install Python
applications on commodity web hosting.

There's no reason at all why I can't set up a server, publish my social
activity to my own server and have my friends pull that information in.

I don't see why users have to be able to use commodity hosting. If we make it easy enough, anyone can host their own GNU Social install, p2p style.