Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:24:07 -0500

Paul Schlie wrote:

In general, it would be convenient if the autoxxx generated configure etc.
files were checked into cvs so that one could simply execute configure/make,
without having to deal with autoxxx tool version incompatibilities.

This is problematic in general. The configure script is in the tarballs...if we need to release an updated tarball, I could go for that. I would like Klaus to let me know when to do this. (creating a tarball also involves very simple quality checks....i.e. running the regression suite, so it's not a bad idea to do from time to time) Would a dated "current" snapshot be helpful?

Basically, it is(was) a real problem to keep the generated files up to date. They are generated, and as a general principal, generated files don't belong under revision control. It's my opinion that in general the "tarballs" are intended for end-users, not CVS. Making CVS provided files easy to use is a great goal, but I know that we fall short of it.

<snip>