Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR Compilation Problem
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:52:29 -0500

Galen Seitz wrote:

Bill <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>
In most cases, tarballs can be built without running the autotools.
Right. That is what I was trying to say about Simulavrxx. What tarball from simulavrxx do you konw of that doesn't also work this way? Maybe I uploaded a bad tarball?

Many, many build/install instructions consist of:

./configure
make
make install

If everyone had to run the autotools in order to build from a tarball,
right...this is bad, not what I meant to imply. No autotools if you use the tarball

all sorts of builds would be breaking in all sorts of ways (or alternatively,
the autotools developers might feel a bit more pressure to maintain some
compatibility between releases :-)).
;-) fishing again....do you have any pointers for me? autotools still seem very bizzare/difficult to me.

A google search for Makefile.in shows it under cvs control for many
projects.  Some poking around on sourceforge or savannah should confirm
this.
Lots of projects don't use automake...so makefile.in IS their source makefile...so a simple search for Makefile.in is not enough to say that it was also generated from automake...for that you probably could look for both Makefile.am and Makefile.in...then you've likely found a case of both being in CVS.

galen
Thanks galen. I do appreciate your input. I think what I wrote was misunderstood to some degree, hopefully this helps clear it up for you.