Re: [Simulavr-devel] Windows port of simulavrxx

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Windows port of simulavrxx
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:14:52 -0400

right...a bit off topic I suppose.

What I had in mind for Microsoft platforms was to support the "cygwin"
environment. (www.cygwin.com)

I don't know if it currently builds there. I know of several
shortfalls, but the core simulator might be pretty close already.

If there are specific ideas we need to think about, them please do
share them. Unless the volume goes way up, I don't mind direct email
to support this.

For me, the hard part seems to be around supporting building TCL and
Python modules using swig. As long as GNU autotools has been around,
and given the utility of SWIG, I'd think there would be more
documentation or modules readily available on how to use autoconf and
automake scripts to support building TCL and Python interfaces...but
this does not seem to be the case. I'd love for someone to prove me
wrong though!

Please feel free to email me directly on this topic. We can post
anything relevant to this list if we need to later for completeness.

FYI: I have investigated using CMake. It has many compelling
features..I stopped exploring this when I had problems auto-detecting
host avr-verison libbfd includes and library locations...with
autotools I had the
canonical names to rely on  (binutils uses same conventions)  but
would have to compute these myself, it seemed, with CMake. Not
something I wanted to do, especially with the idea of supporting
unknown platforms, i.e. David on OSX! I can still be persuaded though..

Cheers

Klaus Rudolph wrote:

 E. Weddington schrieb:

> OT: IMHO, it would be better to start planning and implementing
> the port to Windows *now*, rather than wait until later to "tack
> it on".

 I have a simple question before: Who? :-)

 What should I say: I personal have no windows! and I will not buy
 it. And I have no idea for what is windows good for? So, I have
 spend my work for simulavrxx for the public, but that is not an
 offer of a windows port from me. I will give all needed information
 for all persons which want do the port. But I have no time and
 money for windows :-) Actually we have the problem to port on OS X
 which I could not understand. The source code is fixed as I know
 but the configuration of the autotools costs lot of time... If I
 write a handcrafted Makefile for each OS I think all this problems
 are allready fixed... Sometimes tools are only good for time
 killing :-)

 Resume: I have not reserved any time to do the windows port. I will
 support each one who want to do this and there is no reason why
 the simulator should not work under windows. There is only one
 critical point in which I know: the socket to gdb and the
 userInterface. But that is one file (mysocket.cpp). The windows
 must be able to build the binutils for avr, but that is also needed
 for gcc so that could not be a problem.

 Feel free to do it now :-)

 Bye Klaus