Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx development & docs

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx development & docs
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:43:36 +0200 (MEST)

Hi all,

> Hey! Thanks for the email....I'm primarily interested (as the active
> simulavr project admin) in the C++ port.  I don't have a sense of the
> "big picture" enough yet to say that we should officially drop the
> C-version of simulavr, but I expect this to be the natural
> progression. (in answer to your s_a_xx vs. s_a question I believe)

Now I understand the meaning of s_a_xx! Thanks!
No, we are really not at the point that we should remove simulavr. I think
we have not enough repsonse from the "world". I dont know how many
users we have, but actually it is very silent around the simulavr(xx).
Maybe all is working fine, maybe nobody is using it :-)
It is a bit my fault, because I did not anounce it to avrfreak,
microcontroller.net
and the most important avr-gcc-list. Maybe I should fire a mail to them.

> Would you be interested in contributing "lite" documentation for the
> bits you look at and learn about?

I have started the documentation in the standard texinfo format. There will
come first some hints for normal usage, setting up multiple devices and
also the connection via Tcl/Tk to a GUI front end. But give me some weeks
because
I am actually very busy, the complete October will be lost for my steam
engine I think.

> I say "lite" becuase Klaus is the developer and as he already
> mentioned to you, he's planning on changing some bits...like the
> HWports...so documenting them would go out of date soon...but if you
> would like to send documentation patches, I'll work on adding it to
> the build. I think this is a good idea, especially for helping the
> next newbie.

To document the code is the next part AFTER the main changes I have in mind
are
done. These changes are very deep inside that any doc runs out of date and
make
no sense. But before I could do that, I need really a few weeks continous
time space.
Currently I have only one our here and one on the next week.

> "ccdoc" is another documentation system akin to Javadoc, but for C++,
> if you would like to see an alternative documentation system.

I prefer the doxygen for c++ and texinfo for handcrafted docs.
If you have a look inside the code you will see very little comments. Yes,
you could call me a bitch :-)

> FWIW: I always use RedHat's SourceNavigator to get cozy with new
> software source code...it allows for direct sourc-code navigation. In
> fact it's the reason I haven't even considered doing what you have
> done yet.

I use ctags/(g)vim which is a very fast/good solution for me. Please let us
not discuss the pros and cons on vi :-)))) Also building from the vi is very
nice to find the faulty lines.

> Interested in contributing?
>
> As for getting the work done, I think you are on the right track. Any
> example contributions would be welcome too! Klaus does have a
> comparator GUI sample in the CVS source tree (and tarball I believe)
> that you might find useful for your first spin.

I have some more examples which I could check in. But also this must be
tested
first :-). But I think this could be done in the next weeks.

Bye
     Klaus

--
GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail