Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.org

From: loic
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.org
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:01:35 +0100 (CET)

Guillaume Morin writes:
 > Dans un message du 22 Mar à 19:15, address@hidden écrivait :
 > >  How does it sound ? The workload implied to actually implement this is
 > > a matter of hours (except for mail + gnats for which I have no feedback
 > > yet).
 >
 > For the mailing lists, I just would need to patch some scripts, that is
 > pretty painless.

 I'm not sure I understand. What is needed is to have a separate set of
mailing lists for non-gnu projects, idealy they could only be accessed
using a different domain name (mail.savannah.org for instance). There
are two ways to do this:

    . Install & configure a completely separate mailman for this purpose
    . Use the existing installation but "do what is necessary" so that
      non-gnu mailing lists are only accessed thru mail.savannah.org and
      gnu mailing lists stay as they are

 Of course I have no clue if "do what is necessary" is even possible.

 The same situation holds for www.gnu.org. In order to re-use the same
installation I'll do the following:

  - all non-gnu projects have a directory in
    www.gnu.org/non-gnu/project (gnudist:/home/www/html/non-gnu) much
    in the same way as they currently have a directory in
    www.gnu.org/software/project

  - the apache configuration is changed on www.gnu.org to disallow access
    to www.gnu.org/non-gnu

  - a virtual host is added (let's say projects.savannah.org) and the
    document root of this virtual host is gnudist:/home/www/html/non-gnu.

 With this setup we have a very minimal set of changes while keeping the
two set of pages absolutely separated. It will *not* be possible to access
the pages in non-gnu even if typing the URL by hand in this way
www.gnu.org/non-gnu/project/ and since the document root of the
project.savannah.org server is in a subdirectory of /home/www/html, it will
not be possible to get project.savannah.org/../software/project ;-)

 A similar way of doing things would be highly desirable for mailman but I
know nothing about it therefore I rely on you to tell me if it is possible
and how to do it :-)

    Thanks in advance,