rule-list

Re: [RULE] Xircom NIC: xirc2ps_cs.o doesn't load.

From: C David Rigby
Subject: Re: [RULE] Xircom NIC: xirc2ps_cs.o doesn't load.
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 10:03:26 +0200

Michael Fratoni wrote:

Slightly more difficult. The older rpm is statically linked, and fairly
small. The newer versions of rpm, I haven't been able to build a
statically linked binary. There just isn't room on the image for the
binary and the libraries required by the newer versions of RPM. If anyone
has time to look into building a statically linked binary of a current
version of rpm, by all means, have at it. If someone gets it built, I'll
find a way to squeeze it into the disk image.

- --
- -Michael

I have been thinking about this a bit. My experimentation has not gone very far yet (I have managed to build a 2.6.6 kernel for i386 from plain vanilla sources, but the Fedora kernel-source-2.6.5-1.358 compilation is still dying on me). Since, if booting from floppy, we have to use two diskettes as it is, why not create a boot diskette with a kernel including as many drivers as possible and still fitting on a single floppy, then a separate compressed root filesystem on a 2nd floppy which includes the slinky scripts? This would give us a larger root filesystem than currently possible with combined kernel + rootfs.gz on the current first disk. I will have to experiment a bit to see what is possible, what fits, and if it will still run in 16MB of RAM. I can build plain-vanilla kernels on my faster desktop system, but I have FC2 installed only on my P166 notebook, so it is a slow process using the RedHat sources there.

CDR