ruby-tut-developer

Re: [ruby-tut] question about an exercise of the chapter 3 (iterators)

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [ruby-tut] question about an exercise of the chapter 3 (iterators)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:30:01 -0400

> I have a small question about this exercise of the chapter 3,
> 'iterators' section:
>
>       "Print the lyrics to "99 bottles of beer on the wall" using an
>       iterator."
>
> Well, I saw that this exercise was already asked in chapter 2, 'loops'
> section:
>
>       "Print out all the lyrics to "99 bottles of beer on the wall."
>
> My question is: "how the reader is expected to resolve the exercise of
> the chapter 2, without using an iterator? (such as Integer#times)?"

Well, the reader *will* be using an iterator, they just won't know that
it is an iterator.  They'll just call it a "loop".

The answer is identical to the "counting backwards" section:

count = 99
99.times do
    count -= 1
    puts count.to_s + " bottles of beer on the wall"
end

In chapter 3 we see iterators, so hopefully they can realize that this can
also be done with:

99.times do |count|
    puts count.to_s + " bottles of beer on the wall"
end

That was my thinking.

Perhaps I can refrase the question on chapter 3 to make this more evident.
I'm not sure how... any suggestions?

> PS: i commited gabriel's &IRB; suggestion for the French files.
> I'm now moving the stylesheets to the ``share'' directory, as we
> discussed yesterday.

Great.  I liked the &IRB; idea.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.