Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 1.1.1 released

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 1.1.1 released
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:28:54 -0600

> I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I bet that pounds CPU
> bound boxes. I have quite a few of these and would love a way to
> turn this feature off - is that going to happen? Happy to have it
> default - most aren't CPU bound.

It would be possible to add the option, but I'd like to see some
numbers before deciding if the extra complexity were worth it.
rdiff-backup consumes a lot of CPU when dealing with small files, or
searching through files that haven't changed, and I would guess that
this new feature uses up the most CPU in the opposite circumstance,
when rdiff-backup is processing large files with lots of data to hash,
and so usually isn't CPU bound.

For testing, I think you may just be able to comment out the

                self.sha1.update(buf)

line in hash.py.  No file data will be processed by the hash
algorithm, so all your files will show up with the same hash of a
0-byte file.