Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 1.1.1 released

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 1.1.1 released
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 13:21:44 -0600

> Firstly, the GPG signature on your mail failed. Is the mail
> authentic?

Yes, although my mailer also thinks the signature is bad.  That's
weird, I'm not sure what happened.

> Does the user have control over diffing the metafiles, with a new
> feature? I thought you had decided against that, because it would
> make the archive more prone to errors.

No, in this version it's a mandatory feature.  As for errors, I took a
compromise position.  Firstly, rdiff-backup won't extend the string of
diffs longer than 9.  So if you do a lot of backups your
mirror_metadatas will look like:

<snapshot>
<diff 1>
<diff 9>
<snapshot>
<diff 1>
<diff 9>
<snapshot>
...etc

avoiding the need for a string of diffs 100+ files long to be intact.
Since the diffs will probably be much smaller than the snapshot
(especially with the uncompressable sha1 info added), the snapshot +
diffs probably aren't much bigger than the snapshot.  If the chance of
corruption is roughly proportional to the total size, then there isn't
much increase in total corruption risk.

Also diffs aren't written when the files are being incremented.
rdiff-backup will write the snapshot first, sync it, then as a final
step reread the snapshot, write a diff, and delete the snapshot.  If
rdiff-backup gets interrupted, the regress step knows that if there is
both a diff and a snapshot, then the snapshot must be fully written
but the diff may have been interrupted.