Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Google Summer of Code

From: Christian Rost
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Google Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:08:26 +0200

Johan Gunnarsson schrieb:
> 2 seconds per item really sucks. But I guess it's not much to do about
> it as long as the blackberry/pda is the bottleneck. Still I can't
> really think of any reason why this takes so much time. I mean, It's
> mostly just about moving data around.

You're right, 75% of the time is needed by the old Funambol Outlook
Plugin to process the data
and to store it into Outlook. The current Sync4J-Plugins for Outlook and
PPC are much faster.
Assuming we're going to sync contacts, an intial sync takes 90 minutes.
Now let's take a look at
it in detail and check out how long app. each step of the sync takes (we
didn't measure it
exactly).

Oh BTW, remember that we're still using the LDAP backend and that
LDAP-lookups take much longer
than SQL-queries.

1. Sync-Client contacts Sync-Server, authenticates and initiates the sync
    [5 secs]
2. phpGroupWare Sync-Modul gathers contact IDs the syncing user has
access to (at least read access)
    [ 5 minutes]
3. phpGroupWare Sync-Modul processes and converts contacts, creates
temporary mappings, and
sends the contacts to the sync-server
    [10 minutes]
4. Sync-Server processes contacts and sends them to the Sync-Client
    [4 minutes]
-> so it takes phpGroupWare and the Sync-Server 19 minutes to gather an
process the data

5. Sync-Client recieves data, processes and stores it into Outlook
Addressbook
    [60 minutes]
6. Sync-Client gathers matching contact IDs for each contact and sends
this list of Outlook <->
phpGroupWare mappings to the Sync-Server
    [10 minutes]
7. Sync-Server sends list of mappings to phpGroupWare which stores the
mappings
    [1 minute]
8. phpGroupWare sends "sync completed"

As you can see, the Sync-Client needs most of the time to interact with
Outlook. As mentioned
before, the never Outlook-Clients [Outlook-Plugins] are much faster. But
we need to keep in mind
that it still might take up to 20 or 30 minutes to sync several thousand
contacts. Appointsments
are much faster, because they are easier to handle and contain less
information.

Because we need a Sync-Client, I suggest the 6.x Outlook-Plugin from
Funambol, because it's
multi-user capable. The other Outlook plugins support only one user/
device and need to be run
with administrative privileges or you need to adjust the corresponding
filesystem and registry ACLs.

Christian
Christian Rost
roCon - Informationstechnologie