perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Problems with perlpanel (perhaps found some bugs)

From: Gavin Brown
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Problems with perlpanel (perhaps found some bugs)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:14:18 +0100

> 1) There is almost no documentation available which perl modules
> are needed to get all applets working on the project page or in
> the sources. Just some modules are mentioned there. I installed
> all necessary modules mentioned on the page but some applets
> (like "Recent files", "Notification area", "Gnome menu" etc.)
> need additional perl modules. I am not sure if i have all, so i
> do not know exactly if i found some "bugs" or just have not all
> necessary modules installed.

Here is a complete list of all modules required to run PerlPanel:

Digest::MD5
File::Basename
Gnome2::VFS
Gnome2::Wnck
Gtk2
Gtk2::GladeXML
Gtk2::Helper
Gtk2::SimpleList
Gtk2::TrayManager
Locale::gettext
URI::Escape
XML::Parser
XML::Simple

> 2) Everytime i start the panel, i get the following (the panel is
> executed and is running just seen the message while starting
> perlpanel for debugging purposses from a xterm):
>
> (perlpanel:2505): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil)

This is an internal warning from libwnck, there's nothing we can do to
suppress it.

> 3) When i try to load the "GnomeMenu" applet, i get the following
> error:
>
> (perlpanel:980): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil)
> Error configuring 'GnomeMenu' applet: Can't call method "Name" on
> an undefined value at
> /usr/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel/Applet/GnomeMenu.pm line 173.

The Name() method is from PerlPanel::DesktopEntry, and is probably
caused because there's a badly formatted .desktop file somewhere in your
applications: tree. Open GnomeMenu.pm and change line 26 from

$PerlPanel::DesktopEntry::SILENT = 1;

$PerlPanel::DesktopEntry::SILENT = 0;

and DeskopEntry.pm should show a warning when it comes across an invalid
file.

> 5) After adding the "Application launcher" applet, my panel
> segfaulted immediately. Can not start it anymore... a strace will
> not end, seems to be an endless loop.

If a Perl program segfaults, then it's a problem with the underlying C
bindings, or Perl itself - an error in a Perl program should result in a
Perlish error message. Check your .perlpanelrc, and look for any lines
that look like this:

<applets>Launcher::d67b49045c3d3e7faab9e07905441fd1</applets>

This applet uses the .desktop file in
$HOME/.launchers/d67b49045c3d3e7faab9e07905441fd1.desktop - if you email
me your .perlpanelrc and this file, I will test them myself.

Gavin.

--
Gavin Brown
e: address@hidden