perlpanel-devel

[Perlpanel-devel] Problems with perlpanel (perhaps found some bugs)

From: Jason Brian Friedrich
Subject: [Perlpanel-devel] Problems with perlpanel (perhaps found some bugs)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:32:05 +0200

Hello list,

first of all i have to thank Garvin and alle the others that he /
they made this panel. Its a nice piece of work and a handy tool
:-). I used 0.60 before and now i recognized that 0.80 was out. I
downloaded the sources and tried to call the "new" panel after
compilation and ran into the error Manish described in his
posting on the list a few days ago. So got a copy of CVS and
built it successfully. But i found some really annoying points:

1) There is almost no documentation available which perl modules
are needed to get all applets working on the project page or in
the sources. Just some modules are mentioned there. I installed
all necessary modules mentioned on the page but some applets
(like "Recent files", "Notification area", "Gnome menu" etc.)
need additional perl modules. I am not sure if i have all, so i
do not know exactly if i found some "bugs" or just have not all
necessary modules installed.

2) Everytime i start the panel, i get the following (the panel is
executed and is running just seen the message while starting
perlpanel for debugging purposses from a xterm):

(perlpanel:2505): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil)

3) When i try to load the "GnomeMenu" applet, i get the following
error:

(perlpanel:980): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil)
Error configuring 'GnomeMenu' applet: Can't call method "Name" on
an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel/Applet/GnomeMenu.pm line 173.

4) I added the Nautilus bookmarks applet, it seems to work until
i tried to click on it to see my bookmarks, this output occured
in my console:

(perlpanel:2505): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type (nil)
Error configuring 'GnomeMenu' applet: Can't call method "Name" on
an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel/Applet/GnomeMenu.pm line 173

5) After adding the "Application launcher" applet, my panel
segfaulted immediately. Can not start it anymore... a strace will
not end, seems to be an endless loop.

At last i want to post all installed perl modules. It would be
great if i could get some hints which perl modules i need to get
all applets work. If you need any more information, please tell
me, i will post them.

- Gentoo Linux 2004.1 -

perl-5.8.2
URI-1.31
XML-Simple-2.09
glib-perl-1.042
Xmms-Perl-0.12
gnome2-vfs-perl-1.00
glib-perl-1.042
gtk2-perl-1.042
gtk2-gladexml-1.00
gtk-perl-glade-0.7008
glade-perl-0.61
gnome2-wnck-0.04
gnome2-perl
gtk-perl-0.7008
gtk2-trayicon

I also installed all necessary GNOME libraries because i have
used it before switched to openbox.

Best regards,

    Jason-Brian