pan-users

Re: [OT] Software politics (was Re: [Pan-users] Re: Questions about the

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [OT] Software politics (was Re: [Pan-users] Re: Questions about the next release)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:31:52 +1100

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 11/13/2010 11:08 AM, Duncan wrote:
Steve Davies posted on Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:40:07 +0000 as excerpted:

I particularly like the Servantware references...

FWIW, I've been thinking, on and off, that I need to figure out some
reasonable way to explain that such references are a reflection of my own
ethics and value system and that I believe just as strongly that
attempting to force them on other users (the servantware masters deserve
what they'd get, after all, they're disrespecting my rights at least as
much as they expect me not to disrespect their rights to assert control
over stuff they wrote... obviously something they don't have to
particularly worry about, since I'd be unlikely to run it anyway given the
practical issues of trying to run blackbox software I don't trust the
ethics of the creators of) not ready to voluntarily choose them would as
equally strongly betray those same values.

It's gotta be a personal choice.

Your uber-earnest Marx-like writing style (dude, that 11 line "paragraph" is ONE SENTENCE!) and use of emotionally-laded words like "servantware" belie your assertion that we all should make our own choices.

As opposed to *your* choice of emotionally laden terms like the Nazi-esque "uber" instead of good-old English "overly", and your completely irrelevant comparison of Duncan's writing style to that of Marx? If he wrote like Mother Teressa, would that make him a short Romanian nun with an unjustified reputation as the epitome of charity and piety?

If you think that the use of run-on sentences is an attack on your freedom of choice, your hat probably needs an extra layer of tin-foil. The right to make your own choice is not in contradiction to the right of people to use emotionally laden terms to persuade.

Besides, try reading Samuel Pepys someday. People back then could make sentences run on for three or four pages! Literally.

--
Steven