pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Odd accel behaviour

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Odd accel behaviour
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:03:51 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:25:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> So running an strace on it, I can see that it opens the accels.txt file
> and reads it fine, but then for some reason (not really explained by a
> quick scan of the strace log file I created) pan recreates the
> accels.txt file.
>
> It seems to do this every time, regardless of whether I modify the file
> or not.

Actually, yes, altho I thought it read it at open and wrote it at close,
but it sounds like it writes it back out immediately, from what you wrote.

In either case, what it does (or is supposed to do) is read the file in
and load the accels, then write it unconditionally, I thought when it
quit but whenever, with the current accels.

It does the write bit in the first place to create the file with the
defaults so it can be modified as desired, and then just always dumps its
current accel set at close or whenever, so anything that was changed
using the GUI gets written.

Of course, the irritating bit (in normal operation) is that when it
dumps, that's exactly what it does, a dump, in whatever order they were
in memory, which looks random from a human perspective.  So it's
impossible to keep it ordered in any way, except by keeping your changes
in a different file, and (with pan closed) copying it over the dump-file
when a change is desired.

So the writing out isn't abnormal, except /maybe/ if it's writing at init
instead of at close, that might be abnormal.  But rather, what seems to
be the problem is that for some reason that function has seemed to come
unglued from the accel for loading, so neither whatever you write in the
file nor its default get loaded, and when it writes it writes the no-
accel that it then has.

You mentioned SuSE, are you using their version directly, or K. Haley's
GIT version, or upstream/GNOME GIT, or upstream/GNOME version tarball?
If it was a git version, how often do you update?  Might it have been
either that, or a conflict between a fairly new GIT change and a library
update?  (IOW for the latter, might the pan git update set the stage, but
still worked with an older version of whatever library, but then been
slightly incompatible with a library update?)

Also, if you set something else, /that/ won't stick either, right?  What
about if you change an accel for any /other/ function?  Will the /other/
function accel mapping stick?

It's also possible it was a random on-disk bit-flip.  Can you reinstall
(from whatever source you use), and see if that fixes it?  Or just verify
your copy against the package checksums, if you used a package and can
therefore do so.  That may not be possible if you compiled from sources
yourself, however.