pan-users

Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: Graham
Subject: Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:05:26 +0100

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:21:38 -0700
walt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham wrote:
> > I'm running Mepis and therefore I usually get my updates through
> > apt-get.
>
> Heh.  The reason I switched to gentoo is that the debian packaging
> system simply defeats me.  Recently I tried installing ubuntoo
> (also based on the debian/apt-get system) and I still can't figure
> out how to install what I need  :o(

Well, that's interesting because no matter how I try, I can't get my
head around Gentoo :o)

Ubuntu uses its own repositories and often Debian packages not compiled
for Ubuntu will not run properly under Ubuntu and vice-versa....
Anyway, I digress!

The output I get from your suggestion is:

address@hidden pkg-config --modversion gmime 2.1.14
Package gmime was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gmime.pc'
No package 'gmime' found
Package 2.1.14 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `2.1.14.pc'
No package '2.1.14' found

[snipped]
> You can see that I have gmime version 2.1.14 installed on my
> machine.  If you don't routinely compile software, you may not
> even have the required 'development' packages installed on your
> machine.  Difficult to say without more info from you about your
> setup and your level of experience with building software.

I don't regularly compile binaries from source, but its not unknown.

As you can see, gmime-2.1 is not on my system, nor the version you
have.  However, the Debian repositories come up zero when trying to
find gmime-2.1, its not in any of the repositories in my sources.list,
and googling comes up zero.

Pan 0.98 installs well from the .deb.  The last version of Pan I
compiled from source was 0.91, and it compiled OK.  So unless I can get
gmime-2.1.0 from somewhere, I can't compile Pan 0.99

--

Graham