Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!

From: Zach Borgerding
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:33:40 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Callum Lerwick <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:38:22 -0600
To: Openvortex <address@hidden>

> I have an "Aureal SuperQuad Digital", these were being quietly sold in
> whitebox OEM channels at half the price of any other card. ($50!) From
> what I can tell from grainy jpegs its probably the exact same design as
> the later retail SQxx00 series. (that sold for the going ~$100 price at
> the time...) Anyway, it has an optical S/PDIF output built right in to
> the card. If there's some way to add on an S/PDIF input, that'd be
> handy. I have nothing that takes optical input so I can't test the
> driver.
<< signature.asc >>

Does yours have the alleged "optimized" chip that the Aureal branded I/O Magic
cards have?  The "real" SQ2500 had a new revision of the 8830 chip.  Aureal
claimed that this chip was a little bit faster than previous versions.  There
was no sound difference, but there were later drivers that were supposed to
make better use of this "improved" chip.  On the other hand, it could have been
Aureal's way of getting a little better performance out of their own "brand"
than the other companies that used their chips (like ATi has done).  It could
have been that the new chips may have had an identifier that told the drivers
to work a bit harder.

This article mentions the differences:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/sq2500.html

Zach
OperaMail free e-mail - http://www.operamail.com
OperaMail Premium - 28MB, POP3, more! US$29.99/year