Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] driving me nuts!
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:41:16 -0600

> Does yours have the alleged "optimized" chip that the Aureal branded I/O
> Magic cards have?  The "real" SQ2500 had a new revision of the 8830 chip.
> Aureal claimed that this chip was a little bit faster than previous versions.
>  There was no sound difference, but there were later drivers that were
> supposed to make better use of this "improved" chip.  On the other hand, it
> could have been Aureal's way of getting a little better performance out of
> their own "brand" than the other companies that used their chips (like ATi
> has done).  It could have been that the new chips may have had an identifier
> that told the drivers to work a bit harder.

No idea. Sometime I'll pull it out and scan it or something. Does anyone
here have a 'optimized' chip for sure? (i.e. an SQ2500?) If there really
is a difference I would think all the driver disassembling would turn it
up eventually. Perhaps the difference is only in the A3D parts. Could
the fact that some people's AU8830's work and others don't (still hit
the fastplay bug) be this difference? (is this still happening?)

I've been considering starting a page where everyone can enter in
exactly what card they have and what bugs show up on that card.
Personally my card works great, other than the stereo swapping and the
stuttering with low sample rates. Perhaps just use the ALSA Wiki.

My dad has a Montego II with all the extras, he uses it for home music
production. Seeing as its WinXP support is apparently lacking for such
things, it may find its way into my hands once he gives in and upgrades.
It has the breakout card that has both optical and RCA S/PDIF, for both
input and output, and the rear speaker output.