Re: [Openvortex-dev] Stereo swapping.

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Stereo swapping.
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:06:04 -0500

Here's mine:

Intel CeleronII 533 -> 840mhz
Mainboard MSI BXMaster MS-6163 3.0 i440BX
RAM 256MB PC100/PC133 @ 100mhz, cas2
SQ2500 rev fa, sharing irq with video card
Matrox G400-MAX AGP
NIC: Kingston 21143 Tulip PCI 10/100
SCSI: Tekram DC-390F UW-SCSI Symbios 83c975

Distro: Debian unstable, kernel.org kernel 2.4.21
Environment: XFree86 4.3.0, icewm

latest openvortex cvs

> Listen to MP3's, OGG's, and FLAC's through XMMS with the alsa plugin
> 0.9.9b.  Watch movies with mplayer and dvds with ogle.  I've got gaim
> using aplay to play monaural wav files for events.  With the alsa
> drivers I've only played NWN (linux client), though seeing your post has
> made me think maybe I want to find my UT CD and try that.  I haven't
> tried to reproduce those clicks you're talking about since I'm lazy and
> I don't have any low bitrate files hanging around that I know of.

Same.

> Similar to someone else's post, stereo swapping seems to be a problem
> that increases with time for me.  At least, I notice it more the longer
> my playlist goes, and it gets absolutely nuts after playing NWN for a
> few hours or when trying to watch a DVD.  It used to happen every now
> and again with the aureal binary driver from sourceforge, but its much
> more frequent with the alsa driver.

Exactly!

> It also seems to switch back
> sometimes with the alsa driver, which I don't recall ever happening with
> the binary (take that with a grain of salt, my memory's not great).

Yes.  It always switched exactly *once* at some point during playback,
and never again until playback was restarted.  The alsa driver is
swapping constantly.

> > Aureal Vortex 2: "Diamond MX300" and "Digital Research Vortex 2 PCI"
> > Aureal Vortex 1: "Turtle Beach Montego 3DXStream"

Perhaps this is a problem with the SQ2500?  Though someone else with a
non-SQ2500 card spoke up and indicated they had the same problem.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253