Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Pasing stdin to "inc -file" ?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:30:55 -0700

Thus spake "Ronald F. Guilmette":

> >For example, I've had this spam-filing recipe in my .procmailrc for ages:
> >
> >:0w: Mail/sp/$LOCKEXT
> >| /usr/libexec/nmh/rcvstore +sp
>

> Can you help me to understand the first line of that?
>
> Obviously, based on what I already posted, I _do_ understand the initial
> ":0" part of that, and I just looked man the procmailrc man page and now
> I have learned about the 'w" part.  But what's that other colon doing in
> there?  And what is the significance of "Mail/sp/$LOCKEXT" ?

The second colon tells procmail to use a lockfile for this recipe, and
the path after that is the lockfile name. Messages can come in any
time; the lockfile ensures that two runs of rcvstore don't step on each
other's toes.

The man page for procmailrc(5) is how I learned about this in the first
place.

--
J.