Re: [Nmh-workers] cannot get envelop sender address correct

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] cannot get envelop sender address correct
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 10:07:38 -0400

>It's always been that way.  I think that we should retain the
>original nmh capability, just change the default build configuration.

"Meh".  I actually think "it's always been that way" is kind of a lousy
reason to not have a capability (and I think you have it backwards:
preventing the user from doing something isn't a "capability").
Especially since this is a feature of nearly every PeeCee mailer since
practically forever.  We're long past the days of worrying about MH being
used by undergraduates to forge email; I doubt most undergraduates even
know what (n)mh is.

As long as we're on the subject of From lines and such ... a
long-standing beef I have is that most of the time the hostname that
nmh chooses seems to be wrong.  You can either pick something that
works fine for the "From" line and ends up being wrong for the SMTP
HELO/EHLO exchange, or the reverse.  As part of a general SMTP cleanup
this would be nice to fix (I don't normally like to complain about code
that I don't have time to fix myself).  And while we're at it, let's
just 86 the damn X-Sender garbage.

>> Speaking of ports, wny way to use other ports than 25? I'm occationally
>> sitting behind an intricate mess^Dh of ssh tunnels...
>
>It looks like it's hard-coded ("smtp") in mts/smtp/smtp.c.

Yeah, that should be user-selectable as well.  I had to change that at
home since my ISP forces me to use the submission port back to work.