Re: [Nmh-workers] cannot get envelop sender address correct

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] cannot get envelop sender address correct
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:49:27 +0100

David Levine wrote:
>I wrote:
>
>> > Unless there's objection, I'll look into changing the default
>> > configuration to enable masquerading.  (But not until next week,
>> > at least.)
>>
>> I committed that change on the main trunk.  So, it won't be in 1.3.
>> It's a simple change, if we want it to be in 1.3.
>
>Do we want it in 1.3?  Let me know and I'll copy the change to the
>branch so it gets into RC3.

I don't have any particular strong feelings myself. It looks like
a pretty safe change -- all it does is change the value in the
default mts.conf, right? (I think if you do a 'make install' the
new mts.conf gets used rather than the installed one, but it does
print a message so the sysadmin will know that something has
changed.)

Incidentally, Debian packages of nmh explicitly pass configure
--enable-masquerade='' , so they (and therefore I :-)) will be
unaffected by this.

(Personally I don't reckon nmh's SMTP-talking code is much cop,
and I'd recommend using 'mts:sendmail' and doing any masquerading
in the MTA. That way you only have to configure it once and it
works for any MUA you care to use.)

-- PMM