Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:22:21 -0700

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> wrote:
If only there was some more generic and existing syntax that allowed
us to select interesting revisions...

... that was used by log to specify the set of revisions to be listed.

Maybe that's the real problem though and I should go see what I can do about teaching log to work with selectors. Off hand I'm not sure how these would play with --from and --to?. Maybe not at all and you either specify --from/--to or some selectors?

It would certainly be nice to be able to log a specific set of revs like "those on this branch two days ago". It would also be nice to be able to say "log --updated" and have that list all revisions that the last update brought into the current workspace. Update would have to cooperate for this to work, by recording the base rev id before it changes things.

I recall reading something about lapo documenting a BNF (?) syntax for a new selector language. Does anyone have a pointer to this handy?

At the very least, as a simplified default if we want to prune side
branches, I'd like to see the one side revision (or branch name?)
diverging off or merging in, similar to how monotone-viz shows it.

Are you saying that you would be ok with what I have on this branch if it also logged these additional revs? I can imagine this being useful sometimes but at the moment I think I would prefer just seeing revs from the branch I'm on and no others. I guess that means this should be an option of some sort and we can argue what the default should be.

Cheers,
Derek