Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:54:12 -0700

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
Personally, I'd find it irritating to have the history broken off just
because it went into another branch for a while...  Maybe we should

The use case that gets me more often than not is when I'm working on a branch, and trying to see what has changed on that branch, without wandering off looking at things on some other branch that was propagated into the branch I'm working on. I've mentioned this a few times in the past, and people generally come back with the big crazy pipe contraption from my previous message, which does work but is hardly intuitive. The fact that I have a script lying around with that thing in it is a good indication that I've needed it from time to time.

Aside from using the --branch option, would you find the other options (--date, --author, --message) useful? I've found myself wanting to be able to log changes by a specific author a few times with subversion which doesn't do this either. I notice that git does allow log by --author and it is something that I would have used on occasion had it been available.

think about having a ~/.monotone/opts file to give the users a
possibility to have their own default option values or somesuch...

There is the new get_default_command_options hook coming in 0.43 that essentially does this. One thing I was trying to avoid was having to come up with a bunch more crazy option names (log --please-stay-on-this-branch) when the existing ones fit the purpose reasonably well.

Either way, I'm actually writing to remind you to add something in
NEWS, even though you're working in your own branch.  Just to make
sure it's not forgotten when the time comes to propagate this back
into the main branch :-).  Could you please?

When working on experimental branches I generally avoid doing things like this until I get some encouraging feedback that indicate the branch has a chance of being worthy of merging to mainline. This branch (like many others) needs not only a NEWS entry, but a few feature specific tests and documentation updates before it's ready for merging. I'd be happy to do these things, if people generally like the idea but there's not much point if they don't.

Cheers,
Derek