Re: [Monotone-devel] cvsimport branch reconstruction

From: Juan Jose Comellas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvsimport branch reconstruction
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:51:47 -0300

I'm experimenting with a repository for a client of mine, which has about 6
years of commits. If everything goes well I also plan to migrate my company's
repository, which is fairly big. I'm currently evaluating Monotone, Darcs and
Mercurial as replacements for CVS, because I don't want to spend a single
extra second working (suffering?) with it. Our current workflow requires easy
branching, merging and cherry picking. I haven't decided yet, but right now
my first option is Monotone, which I have been using for smaller projects for
over a year, closely followed by Darcs.

So far, my lists of pros and cons are:

Monotone:
Pros: Great merging algorithm; very reliable (it has never corrupted my
repository/DB); clean source code and written in a language I know.
Cons: Slow on some operations and for initial pulls, especially with big
repositories; not very flexible for external I/O (lack of support for HTTP as
transport protocol); complex setup when having multiple DBs and a single port
for connections.

Darcs:
Pros: Great support for cherry picking; has a set of more mature third-party
tools (Eclipse plugin, Trac integration, etc.); seems to be the one with the
biggest mindshare; very flexible for external communications.
Cons: The exponential complexity of some of its algorithms and the possibility
of having it freeze in the middle of a process are not very comforting,
written in a language I don't know.

Mercurial:
Pros: Incredibly fast; very flexible for external communications; written in a
language I know.
Cons: I have managed to corrupt my repository doing normal operations; merging
is always a hassle (i.e. I end up doing a lot of manual merging).

--
Juan Jose Comellas
(address@hidden)