Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds revision numbers!
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:55:28 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:07:59 -0700, Larry Hastings
<address@hidden> said:

larry> >1. it makes special cases of tags.  So far, a tag is a tag is
larry> >   a tag.  What you propose is that a tag is a tag... unless
larry> >   it looks this way.
larry> >
larry> >
larry> I don't see how these tags are "special cases".

Some tag values have special meaning to the program while others
don't.  That's what make those special cases.

larry> But they work just like normal tags, because they are normal tags.

I disagree with that.  From a user's point of view, I don't see them
as normal.

larry> >2. it assumes that everyone will use m7, and completely
larry> >   ignores the possibility of a mixe environment,
larry> >
larry> >
larry> As with your previous point, I fail to see how this approach
larry> "ignore[s] the possibility of a mixed environment".

This is under the assumption that "m7 list tags" filters the output so
the localised revision number tags aren't shown, which means that
monotone developpers using m7 won't be hit with 3513 (that's how many
revisions there are in my monotone database right now) localised
revision number tags, while those using monotone directly will get
them in their faces (which they probably didn't expect or wanted).
That, to me, is a significant different in user experience, and quite
undesirable.

larry> If you're really just restating your earlier point about "well,
larry> but there'd be a lot more tags now, and that would be
larry> inconvenient", then my reply is again "that's a user interface
larry> issue".

I'm sorry, are you saying that the users should adapt to the program?

OK, sorry for all the blabering.  I'll shut up about this for a while
now.

Cheers,
Richard

-----