Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds revision numbers!
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:56:33 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:43:13 -0500, Timothy
Brownawell <address@hidden> said:

tbrownaw> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 17:00 +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
tbrownaw> > Is this desirable?  I've no problems create that command,
tbrownaw> > the questions is only what to call it.  "monotone grep
tbrownaw> > certs"?  "monotone list certs" is already taken, and with
tbrownaw> > a very different meaning...
tbrownaw>
tbrownaw> 'show', perhaps?

Hmm...  Actually, in that case I'd prefer "show certs" to have the
current functionality of "list certs" and for "list certs" to get new
functionality that's a bit more like "list tags"...  At least, that
would make more linguistic sense to me.

tbrownaw> ...what'd be nice is to make it take an arbitrary selector,
tbrownaw> get the matching revisions, and then output the IDs along
tbrownaw> with the values for each (ambiguous?) item in the selector.
tbrownaw> So,
tbrownaw>    mtn show 'c:release/b:*'
tbrownaw> would give a list of (ID, 'release' cert value, branch) lines, and
tbrownaw>    mtn show 'c:release/b:net.venge.monotone'
tbrownaw> would give a list of (ID, 'release' cert value) lines, since
tbrownaw> all listed revision would be in the same branch. Maybe
tbrownaw> printing some lines at the end, giving the values of
tbrownaw> selector items that are the same on all the listed
tbrownaw> revisions, so this example would have a line "branch:
tbrownaw> net.venge.monotone" at the end?

I like the ideas.  All it would take would be to rework the selector
parser so it actually feeds back some sensible information for the
layer above to work with...  hmm, easy to say, perhaps not as easy to
do.  It's definitely a bit bigger than "bite-size" :-).  On the other
hand, with Nathaniels proposal for "magic" selectors a little while
ago, we need to rework this part either way, so why not?

I'm up for the task, as long as I'm not expected to have it done by
tomorrow or anything unreasonably quickly, as I'm a bit swamped at
work.

Cheers,
Richard

-----