Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds

From: Larry Hastings
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Announcing "m7", a monotone front-end... which adds revision numbers!
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 05:45:39 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
I wish you would have used a different cert than the tag one, and I certainly hope noone will choose to populate the monotone database.  "monotone list tags" will  just not be the same experience (I can already see myself screaming "GAH!")...

Well, I agree about not populating net.venge.monotone, simply because m7 is still in its early stages.  Though I do hope people will play with it in earnest, and I am eating my own dog food.

As far as not using tag certs for the ids, I don't really agree.  Ignoring the specific argument cited above, are there any other reasons they shouldn't they be tags?  After all, this revision number tag that m7 writes out is "a symbolic name given to a revision", and that's the very definition of a tag cert, straight out of the monotone documentation.  I see it as entirely appropriate.

There's also a near-term logistical problem.  Right now, if I used an arbitrary other cert, I wouldn't be able to easily get a list of them out of monotone.  Tags I can list with monotone list tags.  But arbitrary certs are unretrievable unless either you know something about them (like what revision id they are joined to) or you're willing to delve into SQL.  Though I'm sure if I whined enough / contributed code, we could have a nice high-level interface for querying for these in the next release.

As for not wanting to see untold kajillions of tags, I see that as a user-interface issue.  The solution is better tools at dealing with arbitrarily large collections of tags, not telling people "oh, don't use a tag there! you'll clutter up monotone list tags!"  For instance, m7 list tags could weed out all tags that conform loosely to its default tag specification.  Or only show you tags from the last month, or six months.  Or both.

Cheers,

larry