Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Handling the debian files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Handling the debian files
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:32:23 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:48:36AM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith skrev:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:42:24PM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> [...]
>
> >>You still need to change your use of dash-digit debian package
> >>version postfixes. Really. May I suggest a change to dash-zero?
> >>Debian package version postfix always start at dash-one.
>
> Forget dash-zero. It's simply wrong. Bad idea. You should avoid
> dash-digit all together, if possible. See below.

Okay.

> > Sure.  How does one go about doing this?  My debian package-fu is not
> > strong.
>
> Give an explicit version number to debchange:
>
> address@hidden:~/monotone-0.20$ dch -v 0.20 # (for example)
>
> Does it make sense?

So, the point is to get a package like monotone_0.20_i386.deb, with no
-digit at all.  And the real debian package, when it exists, will
count as later than this?  I'll note this down in my release
checklist...

If I screw up a package, do I use 0.20-0.1 or something?  Or should I
just not worry about this until it happens? :-)

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould