Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Jonathan Matthew
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:15:51 +1000

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:27:33PM +0200, Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2004 19:55, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > ... Monotone needs some concept of "permitted committers".  (It's
> > very very high on my list at least, once some of the bug churn right
> > now stabilizes.)  But I think we can achieve something more flexible
> > than requiring every branch to have a single owner.
>
> Using a single branch key is the simplest way to go about it. Nobody
> said this key has to be your personal key; the system should make it
> easy to use a per-branch key. This is as flexible as you want - if you
> want someone else to be able to commit to the branch, give him a copy
> of the key.

This would make it awfully hard to revoke someone's access to the
branch, and unless you require the branch key to be used in combination
with a personal key, you have no record of who actually committed each
revision in the branch.  Not a good combination.

The phrase 'give him a copy of the key' just makes me extremely wary.
It makes it very hard to define who is trusted to commit to the branch,
and that's something I (or my corporate overlords, at least) would
definitely like to be able to do.

-jonathan.