Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Oren Ben-Kiki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:27:33 +0200

On Friday 10 December 2004 19:55, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> ... Monotone needs some concept of "permitted committers".  (It's
> very very high on my list at least, once some of the bug churn right
> now stabilizes.)  But I think we can achieve something more flexible
> than requiring every branch to have a single owner.

Using a single branch key is the simplest way to go about it. Nobody
said this key has to be your personal key; the system should make it
easy to use a per-branch key. This is as flexible as you want - if you
want someone else to be able to commit to the branch, give him a copy
of the key.

> You can
> definitely have control, and ways to keep track of which committed
> changes are not actually in your branch (because the committers don't
> have permissions), i.e. "proposed bug fixes", keep track of merging
> them, etc., without a unique owner.

You certainly achieve all these things using a separate mechanism.
However, the simplest to do this is with an owner key and a concept of
forks-in-branch. It all meshes together - control over your branch,
stable friendly revision ids, two-way compatibility with CVS-like
systems...

Have fun,

 Oren Ben-Kiki