[Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Oren Ben-Kiki
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:41:12 +0200

On Friday 10 December 2004 01:06, graydon hoare wrote:
> > So, what's your view on the idea of having fork certs, a --fork
> > commit option and using
> > revisions?
>
> well, your current proposal has some problems you brush off:
>
>    - it requires some mechanism for differentiating trunks and forks

True. This is considered a feature; if you feel that differentiating
forks and trunks isn't something you want to do, then the proposal is
irrelevant.

>    - it is not necessarily stable if <author> commits from two places
>      and then syncs...

True - but if the author specified a --fork flag when he intended to
create a fork and did not specify one when he intended to advance the
trunk, there's no renumbering involved.

> but then, that's just a lesser form of
> "unstable local IDs".. maybe acceptably lesser, but still real.

True, there are scenarios where the ids are unstable - but they are
*global* rather than local ids. That is, if I sync with your db, we can
both talk about "foo.17", "bar.graydon.3" or "baz.oren.5" and be 100%
certain we are talking about the same revision. This wasn't the case
for some other proposals (e.g., the <author>-<seq-#> proposal).

> so I'm not really sold on this either. if we're going to think
> seriously about teaching monotone to differentiate between "linear
> trunks" and "diverging forks" (which is possible -- it has some other
> benefits), we ought to have that conversation in terms of *all* of
> its implications, not just that it happens to make number assignment
> easier. it probably makes some things harder too.

Agreed. So, are we going to seriously think about differentiating
between forks and trunks?

Have fun,

 Oren Ben-Kiki