[Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:09:57 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

True. This is considered a feature; if you feel that differentiating forks and trunks isn't something you want to do, then the proposal is irrelevant.

I do want to differentiate forks and trunks.  It's just... I spell it
'--branch'...

nah, it's not quite the same issue. within a branch, you can still have unlimited bifurcation. the question on the table is whether we should try to introduce some mechanism which *prevents* bifurcation, or at least marks a "globally linear" subgraph.

and we've been over this before. it usually boils down to some variation (synchronous or asynchronous) of having a "branch owner" -- person, robot, discriminated server -- issue a special linear cert. this unfortunately centralizes a failure case, and is not robust against backup/restore and multiple-issue errors on the case of the owner.

unless oren has some new idea about how to establish a stable, robust linear subgraph, I propose we just let the whole topic drop for a while. we've been running around in circles all week, and not come up with much new since the last time this was raised 6 months ago. we're all getting bitchy, and there's not much gained by making the mood hostile. I already made enough bad blood by saying that phonetic hashes sounded "crazy"; I'm sorry for having said so already, but it's done. let's just focus on real bugs and easily-agreed-on improvements for a while.

-graydon