lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev (patch) INSTALLATION & Options refs

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (patch) INSTALLATION & Options refs
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:52:50 -0500 (EST)

991129 Henry Nelson wrote:
>> PW> `cp' is a standard English abbreviation for `compare':
>> Lynx should probably stick to the everyday English `see'.
> Careful: don't go and change every 'cp' to `see.'  Most likely
> previous writers of Lynx docs used 'cp' as a synonym for `copy.'

i've never seen an instance of this.

> I don't love `see,' either.
> However, it is short and understood by almost everyone.

we could try replacing `cp', `cf', `see' by eg:

  it is respectfully suggested that Lynx users might like to consult
  the parallel documentation to be found in the file ...

more generally, non-natives taking part in an English-based discussion
should welcome the opportunity to improve their knowledge of the language,
rather than objecting when native speakers take advantage of its resources.
that's certainly my attitude when conversing in French.