lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev (patch) INSTALLATION & Options refs

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (patch) INSTALLATION & Options refs
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:24:31 -0500 (EST)

991127 various people incl Henry Nelson disagreed:
PW> `cp' is a standard English abbreviation for `compare':
PW> the majority of English speakers (incl non-natives) should know it.

`cf' is the traditional Latin abbreviation for `compare':
it is used by Lewis & Short (Latin) and Liddell & Scott (Greek)
in their monumental dictionaries of those languages
& they explain it as abbreviating `confer' = `compare' (imperative)
or `conferatvr' = `is to be compared'.
however, there are also Latin words `compara' or `comparatvr',
which mean more or less the same thing --
`conferre' (infinitive) = `to bring together',
`comparare' = `to lay out side-by-side' -- ,
so `cp' is also used & seemed to me more commonplace.
the OED uses `cf', but i can't find a list of its abbreviations,
either in our on-line licensed copy or the OED site  www.oed.com/ .

anyway, since non-natives apparently have problems with both,
Lynx should probably stick to the everyday English `see'.