lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev yahoo cookies not working the same in 2.8.3.dev15

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev yahoo cookies not working the same in 2.8.3.dev15
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:21:54 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 24-Nov-99 08:57 Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > * changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES from TRUE to FALSE, since
> >   persistent cookie support is now configured in by default -KW
>
> I think this is very confusing since 2.8.2 release was configured
> differently.

As far as I know, whoever was using persistent cookies with the 2.8.2
release was using an experimental feature.

You used that argument yourself, in a *somewhat* different context:

<http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1099/msg00765.html>:
 "in this particular case I feel it is not bad to break backward compatibility
  with naming convention - persistent cookies were experimental anyway.
  And EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES could now be renamed to PERSISTENT_COOKIES
symbol:)"

I gave my reasons in the (sub-)thread starting here:
<http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1099/threads.html#00498>
It seems only mattack disagreed.

> Disabling persistent cookies seems a rare case and should
> be done explicitely, IMO.

Here's at least one person who seems to disagre vehemently with that:
<http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1099/msg00599.html>

> > Is it really that hard to figure out that PERSISTENT_COOKIES in lynx.cfg
> > needs looking at?
>
> You should be ready to repeat this on lynx-dev for a while
> unless change the default back.

Nah, Larry was having a bad day...
It's not representative.  (Not for lynx users in general, and not for
Larry.)

If I'm wrong with that - ok, I am ready to repeat
   "Set PERSISTENT_COOKIES in lynx.cfg"
on lynx-dev for a while.  It's just four words.

   Klaus