lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev links in tables

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev links in tables
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:27:16 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 991123 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > you are completely forgetting a major requirement
> > for "reasonable" table handling - keeping hyperlinks as hyperlinks.
> >    <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0699/msg00356.html>
> >    <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0699/msg00366.html>
>
> neither of these are regular contributors to lynx-dev,
> but i'll accept their comments as representing some users.

That is gracious of you.

I take their comments as representing two users, and your comments
as representing one user...

> one says half a loaf is better than no bread (the present situation),
> both agree Lynx currently renders links in tables in a usable manner.
> neither appears interested in reading normal data tables
> of the kind you find in hard-copy reports, newspapers, journals etc,

Now I am getting puzzled.  What the heck are 'normal data tables of
the kind ...'.  You should try to define your terms if you classify
like this.

(And then, why should broken HTML as in ocaa2.html be considered a
representative example.)

> the reason <table> was added to HTML in the first place

Really...

For OCAA's tables - yes;  For football scores - no?  I don't think so.

> & something Lynx currently does a very poor job of handling.

I thought you wanted to avoid loaded terms...

> > Or why not just use w3m for what w3m is good and lynx for what lynx is good?
>
> this is lynx-dev, not w3m-dev ... (look of amazement)

Have you tried it or not?  Or should the question be forbidden
because 'this is lynx-dev'?

   Klaus